Rat Poison and your dog?

Rodenticides ( = commercial rat poison products, made to be very palatable) cause a Coagulopathy, an inability for blood to clot. Appropriate blood clotting is an important self-regulating function in the body, and there are 2 separate pathways that are responsible for keeping the balance: 1) Platelets ( also called thrombocytes) and 2) natural Vit K in the liver.

Rodenticides target natural Vit K levels in the liver, and 2-5 days after ingesting even a small amount of the toxin, the dog will start bleeding internally, often without visible bleeding signs, and not be able to clot. This is an emergency as your dog can bleed to death. Vit K is given as the antidote, and patients may need a fresh blood transfusion to replenish clotting factors in their bloodstream.

However carefully the poison has been placed ( in the ceiling, up in the rafters etc), it all goes bad when the rat picks up very palatable small block of poison, runs across the surface, is disturbed by human, or barking dog, or hunting cat, drops the poison randomly, which dog finds and eats. (Cats are MUCH smarter! They generally don’t eat the poison, or the poisoned rat, and they hunt the live prey.)

Owls, snakes, and cats, are natural predators of mice and rats. If you have lovely tall trees nearby, consider placing an Owl House. The people working with owls have the best suggestions for the safest ways to deal with a “rat problem” owlrescue911@gmail.com

Comments are closed